Musica Sacra et Profana
New Trinity Baroque's Annual Christmas Concert by Candlelight
Saturday, September 23, 2017
CONCERT BEGINS AT 8:00 PM
- PURCELL Sound the Trumpet
- PURCELL Sweeten than roses
- PURCELL An Evening Hymn
- PURCELL Lorn, what is man?
- PURCELL A new ground in E minor
- MONTEVERDI Jubilet (from "Selva Morale e Spirituale")
- MONTEVERDI Ut queant laxis (from "Selva Morale e Spirituale")
- MONTEVERDI Se dolce e'l tormento
- ANGELETTI Gloria Patri et Filio
- HANDEL Italian Duets
- VITALLI Divisions for Viola da gamba
- SIMPSON Variations
For this occasion, New Trinity Baroque will presents a meditative evening of sacred and secular vocal and instrumental music from Monteverdi to Handel. Entitled "Musica Sacra et Profana" this concert will include vocal compositions such as Giovanni-Battista Agneletti's "Gloria", Henry Purcell's "The Evening Hymn", "Lord, what is man" and "Sweeter than roses", Claudio Monteverdi's "Jubilet", "Si dolce è'l tormento" and "Ut queant laxis", as well as instrumental compositions for theorbo, viola da gamba, harpsichord and organ by Girolamo Frescobaldi, Alessandro Piccini, Johannes Hieronymus Kapsberger, Giovanni Battista Vitali and Christopher Simpson. A special treat will be the duets for two sopranos and continuo by Henry Purcell ("Sound the Trumpet") and Italian duets by George Frideric Handel - "Quel fior che all'alba ride" and "Ah, nelle sorte umane".
With this concert we also celebrate one very big anniversary - the 400th birthday of Italian composer Claudio Monteverdi.