Music of G.F. Handel
250th Anniversary Concert
with Leif Aruhn-Solen, tenor (Sweden)
Saturday, May 2, 2009
CONCERT BEGINS AT 8:00 PM (FREE PRE-CONCERT TALK AT 7:00 PM)
Program (all music by George Frideric Handel):
- Chamber Music:
- Trio Sonata No. 1, Op. 2 in B minor
- Trio Sonata No. 4, Op. 5 in G major
- Trio Sonata No. 8, Op. 2 in G minor
- Tenor Arias from Operas and Oratorios:
- Alceste, Act IV: Enjoy the Sweet Elysian Grove
- Semele, Act II, 3: Where'er You Walk
- Tamerlano, Act I, 1: Forte e Lieto
- Samson, Act I, 2: Total Eclipse
- Jephtha, Act III, 1: Waft Her, Angels
- Esther, Act I, 2: Tune Your Harps
- Israel in Egypt, Part 3: Moses' Song: The enemy said, I will persue
- Athalia: Gentle Airs, Melodious Strains!
- Partenope: La gloria in nobil alma
Please note that the program order is subject to change
1759 is the year of Handel's death, which also marks the end of Baroque era. This year we celebrate Handel's 250th Anniversary with some of the best selections of his vocal and instrumental music, including arias from oratorios and operas, as well as some of the best selections of his chamber music. This concert will feature incredible Swedish tenor, Leif Aruhn-Solen, as a special guest, together with New Trinity Baroque violinists Carrie Krause and Adriane Post, violinst William Bauer, cellist Andre O'Neil, and violone player Martha Bishop, directed from the harpsichord and chamber organ by NTB Artistic Director Predrag Gosta.
This concert is the final concert of NTB's 10th Anniversary Season, and will announce the program for the next year. At the same time, this concert is NTB's fundraising concert for this season!